A group of friends noticed that Vandenberg Village was void of any gathering place and also had little to no access to locally grown fresh fruits and vegetables.
In December of 2010 they came up with the idea of creating a farmers market in their own community.
In March of 2011, Village Farmers Market Association (VFMA) received the classification of: 501(c)3 nonprofit corporation by the Internal Revenue Service.
As VFMA continues to grow, we look forward to maintaining the projects we've completed in the past, and developing new ones. Here are some of the projects V.F.M.A. continues to work on, and looks forward to starting soon:
- Establish the Vandenberg Village Farmers' Market
- Support the teaching garden at Buena Vista Elementary School
- Hosting lectures on: Why eat Local, Benefits of Eating Organic, Organic Gardening, Urban Homesteading Techniques, Vermicomposting and Ways to Reduce Waste
- Host FREE documentary screenings which convey V.F.M.A.'s core values and provide a venue for like minded folks to gather and discuss issues of concern.
- Host events that bring communities together.
V.F.M.A. is dedicated to fostering a locally based food system. All of the projects listed above support this goal by:
- Teaching the community to grow their own food
- Teaching the benefits of eating a locally produced organic diet
- Providing a conduit between farmers and consumers which supports local, and responsible food production
These projects will also help connect kids to the food they eat which in turn will provide them with the information they need to make smart nutritional decision in the future.